After a few decades, wood veneer sheets on furniture may need to be replaced for one reason or the other. The most common reason is that wood sheets easily get chipped, even during cleaning, as the glue holding them to the substrate begins to lose its holding strength. The cost-effectiveness of wood veneer sheets makes it easy to replace them as and when they get damaged, lose their aesthetic appeal, or need a makeover to go with the overall decor. While the project is best handled by professionals, let’s take a look at the steps involved when replacing wood veneers on furniture.
What You Need
- Some of the things you need for the project include:
- Heat gun
- Putty knife
- Utility knife
- Straight edge
- Wood dough
- Steam iron
- White glue
- Wax paper
- Kraft paper
Also Read: 3 Attic Design Ideas Using Wood Veneers
What To Do
- Use a heat gun to apply heat to the old veneer sheet and a putty knife to pry it off. A steam iron can be helpful if the wood sheet still won’t come off. Place the iron on the veneer and move it about in a circular motion while applying steam. Do this as many times as is necessary until you are able to pry off the wood veneer sheet.
- Remove glue and debris from the furniture surface by scraping with the putty knife. Fill any existing holes and make sure that the surface is even using wood dough. Use a utility knife and straightedge to cut straight, even edges along the sides of the area where you have removed the damaged veneer.
- Measure the size of the gap and cut a replacement veneer of equal size. Make sure the piece fits and the grain matches. Sand the edges if it’s too large, or cut another piece if it’s too small.
- Wipe the gap and the back of the replacement veneer sheet clean with a cloth and apply white glue to both. Press the veneer and get rid of any excess glue with a damp cloth or paper towel.
- Clamp the two together after placing wax paper on top of the veneer and wood blocks on both sides. After at least 24 hours of drying, remove the clamps and sand the edges to get a perfect blend.
About Decowood Veneers
Decowood Veneers is your go-to wood veneer sheets manufacturer’s in India when looking for the highest quality and an abundance of design options. We boast a huge catalogue of natural and engineered wood veneers for diverse applications in residential and commercial spaces. Talk to your trusted wood veneer suppliers today to get more information on available wood sheets. Call Toll Free No. 1800 833 0004, or +91 11 4279 1399 or +91 11-4950 1499. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our contact form. Our mobile app is available on the App Store and Google Play Store.